Friday, July 27, 2007

Plenary Session III: Presidential Forum on Urban Issues


When I first found out that there were going to be Presidential Candidates appearing at the Urban League conference, there was a great deal of excitement that ran down my spine. Immediately, I began to research all of the candidates and know what they were all about. When the interns were told they would be reporting on a specific candidate, I was hoping and praying that the words Jamel Vanderburg and Barack Obama would appear in the same sentence. Unfortunately, that's where some of my hope died on that day.

Instead, my name was paired with Dennis John Kucinich. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a lot of great ideas, but his chances of grabbing the Presidential nomination are slimmer than Bush's approval rating. I digress, though. I knew Kucinich was going to come to the table with a lot of great ideas during his speech. I liked his analogy of the Urban League symbol to equality, the light bulb, and the train. The similarity between these three things is the amount of power and energy they have.

Dennis Kucinich has some very good ideas in the areas of Healthcare and Early Childhood. Because he was the first to speak, I thought his ideas were phenomenal. The idea of children possibly starting school at age 3 probably won't impact me until I actually have children of my own if or when that iniative takes affect. The Healthcare iniative would be beneficial as it would slowly but steadily change the dramatic split in Healthcare in America right now. He spoke of changing from a for-profit to a non-profit form of Healthcare. As controversial as that sounds, that would undoubtedly destroy and crush the "better for middle and upper class" Healthcare in this country now and make it equal, affordable, and beneficial for all citizens. He also spoke about creating rehabilitation programs for those incarcerated to bring them back into the fold of things. That would open jobs and make more productive citizens.

For a man with over 40 years of experience, as a mayor, city councilman, state senator, attorney, and congressman, Dennis Kucinich could possibly be a great contender for the White House. His main issue is he doesn't appear as marketable as the John Edwards, Hillary Clintons, and Barack Obamas of the political arena. It appears that the Democratic Presidential Nomination is already set, but the question is, would America be ready to endorse an African American and a woman, or will they revert back to bootleg Republican backwards trending wasteful spending ways?

Would Dennis Kucinich be a great VP candidate? Absolutely, but it doesn't look good. Being a student in Ohio, I know Kucinich is very effective. He needs to get out there more and differentiate himself. All of the Democratic candidates have the same platform almost. If Kucinich wants to distinct himself, distinct his policies further.

No comments: