Thursday, July 26, 2007

Plenary Session II: Portrait of a Black Man


The second Plenary Session addressed the image of today's Black Man in America. The issues covered spoke on many of the problems that we face as a community but with little understanding of how to not only formulate solutions but how to be a part of these solutions . Still, what singled me out in that audience was not just the fact that I was given the opportunity to be enlighten by some of today's great thinkers and political activists but that I too represented that community portrait. I was able to realize that regardless of what level of education I achieve from any institution my face is still represented in that portrait because I still walk this earth as a black man. One of the points that Rev. Jesse Jackson made was the fact that, "Freedom is not the goal for our struggle. Freedom is the precondition for equality." What I took from that quote is that it's not enough for me to emerge from my community as one of those who "made it." But I have to realize that I now have a greater responsibility to be a living blueprint and a service to those who don't know how to make it.

So What's The Next Step?

When I looked at the title Portrait of a Black Man and as I listened to the words of those that sat on the panel I realized that the concept was no just about the image of today's black male. What it also addressed was how do we break a generational cycle of simple minds and shallow goals? This is where I really began to get the most out of the session. When you have speakers like Jeff Henderson who went from selling cocaine, to being institutionalize, to having the title as an ex-con, to becoming a published author and world-class chef it just allows myslef to see the full potential of opportunity. To have Cousin Jeff speak as a symbol of the young black male generation in America it gives me that attitude of "Why Not?". Why can't I fulfil all that I want in life even though the odds maybe against me. Why can't I have the credentials needed to be eligible for Mr. Morial's position by the age of 30. But the point I'm trying to make is the same point that I think my mentor Calvin Wilson has been trying to get me to understand for a while. That point is that I have everything I need today to achieve everything I want tomorrow. All I have to do is want it enough and make the simple sacrifices of hardwork and diligence to attain what is rightfully mine. I think that I still represent the portrait of a Black Man but from another standpoint. I see myself as America's Promising Nightmare: Young, Black and Educated.
Isiah Hall

No comments: