Friday, July 27, 2007

National Council of Urban League Guilds Leadership Luncheon


I had the honor and privilege to cover the Guilds Leadership Luncheon. The Guild could not have found anybody better than Susan Taylor. Susan Taylor is the Editorial Director of the Essence Magazine. Let me tell you, I think Susan Taylor did a phenomenal job during her presentation at the Guild Luncheon. Forgive me, it's 1:30 in the morning, but I'm gonna pull this off somehow. Her innate ability to match her topic with a real life experience she faced while speaking in Orlando, FL made EVERYBODY think twice about what she said. She spoke about taking time out and helping somebody else. We spend all our time trying to look good and feel good that we ignore a lot of the problems in our society. Ms. Taylor said it best when she said, "The only time you should look down on somebody is when you're extending your hand out to help them out." That is a great quote and to those that know me, I will definitely be using that quote soon. Believe me on that. I digress, though.

She didn't have to use big words, catchy figures of speech, or even relate it to stories and novels we have probably never heard of. Her simple metaphor of America ignoring the problems of society was enough to captivate the audience of what we can do to become better citizens and better problem solvers. Ms. Taylor is not only a great influence to the National Urban League, but a great asset to the community as well. She said it best when she said there is no true division between black and white problems because black problems happen first, simply put. Everything then has the trickle down effect on whites and others. It was a compelling 25 minutes and I am glad I had the opportunity to report on this event. It may be short, but it proves the point.

The food was good, the presentations were good, and the speaker was dynamite. Ms. Taylor, if you have the chance to read this, I am STILL waiting for my interview and my photo. I went ahead and continued this blog anyways. All in all, thank you for being a strong African American woman and thanks to all that are reading this blog.

No comments: